Sunday, November 8, 2009

Books a'plenty!

Holy cow, I'm just rolling in books like Donald Duck's Uncle Scrooge rolls in his piles and piles of money!
And who's richer?
I think I am, because I got so many great deals at the Friends of the Library book sale. It was a dilemma at first, because I couldn't decide what to read first. I got a great hard cover book on the history of women in comic strips, which is fun to read and look at, but also gives great insight into our changing society. From almost no political correctness to perhaps too much?
The sale offers a great opportunity to try those authors you haven't invested in yet because of the high price of books. I've got a David Baldacci mystery in addition to several by one of my favorite mystery writers, Jonathan Kellerman.
I also picked up a couple of classics to fill in some spots in my home library, Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," Alice Munro short stories, poetry by Bennie Sinclair and Robinson Jeffers, a '70s book on contemporary S.C. artists, including Robert Courtright and Jasper Johns, some Roald Dahl and a ton more, and I only spent $14.50.
I'll be back at the Sumter mall next weekend to get more. The sale goes on Friday night and during the day on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday, you can fill a grocery bag for just $4. And they keep adding books to the tables each day.
Now back to my anthology of MAD magazines Spy vs. Spy ...

No comments:

Post a Comment